Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Nasty me

Pic: Ma's windowsill garden, Kolkata

I don't believe in "First impression is the last impression". Whoever said this must have been a really self-concious individual. And I firmly believe that it only works in a job interview or in a situation where you are meeting the person for the first time and there is no guarantee that you will meet him or her a second time. 
Fair enough?
For instance, I know this young woman in office who tries to be super sweet to people, tries to remain as calm as possible and talks a lot. Sometimes, I feel like carrying a duct tape or a magic wand to office.
The first time I met her she appeared the dedicated type.
In a few days I realised that all she could do well was talk incessantly and butt in with unneccesary questions. I tried leaving hints but they didn't work I guess.
In a few more days, I realised that she is shifty as well. Point out a good story idea to her. She would sound confused and disinterested. And later she would suggest the same idea in a meeting, sometimes saying that she would do it with me...
Later, on being asked about it she would murmur some excuse. And then, when you would have lost interest and moved on, you would see her struggling to write even 200 words on it. 
And oh yes, it isn't a big deal at all that she suggests 20 story ideas in the meeting to come up with 2 stories in the end. If only she could have eaten and been less of a troublesome monkey. 
But did I realise that she was a monkey when I first met her?

3 comments:

Rohan said...

ha ha, yeah.. we all know people like that.. ones who speak a lot more than they actually know about.. and a lot of them do PR ;-)

Anonymous said...

@Rohan PR? Without PR you would be struggling to even write a single story...

Rohan said...

@ anonymous: that was meant to be in a lighter vein but it's true anyways.. and for the note i do PR ;-)