Saturday, April 25, 2009

Where is Renault?


I hate the heat. Much like Renault's indignation at being called the sickest carmaker in this country. The French carmaker hasn’t been doing too well here. And now, it has also been announced that the Logan is the least-selling car in this country.
So, the other day I dropped in at the Claridges to meet Ashish Sinha Roy, VP, communication and corporate affairs, Renault India — in short, the company’s spokesperson. It was a bright sunny day (read hot) and I was surprised when I was hurriedly ushered into the lawn. Not that I mind being out in the sun for a good reason, but a corporate meeting in the lawn, in the afternoon, in Delhi, during summer, well?
Ashish came across as a smart and pseudo-intellectual person — common Bong traits, I guess. In a blue tee and unpolished brown shoes, he gave the impression of a middle-aged man comfortable in a cushy job. Considering Renault’s poor marketing activity here, it didn’t come across as a surprise. Then there was another guy, the owner of the public relations company that works for Renault.
This guy was fat; had stained teeth; had a very shady smile and unfortunately was a Bong too. The moment I stepped into the lawn, I saw him studying my shoes and me, perhaps trying to gauge my brand equity. Suddenly Ashish asked for cigarettes and the fat guy ordered his executive to go and buy a packet. I was surprised at the “corporate” dadagiri. How can you ask an executive to do that? But one mystery was solved. I knew why they were keen on having the meeting outside.
But that’s not what I want to tell you. I want to tell you how brands are built and destroyed by seemingly insignificant actions.
After the meeting, I got into the creaking Wagon R that Renault’s PR company had got for me and asked the driver to ferry me home.
He was confused. First, he called his boss a number of times to confirm whether he could do that. Second, he went on complaining about the traffic.
It pissed me off. After a few minutes I asked him to switch on the a/c. It was boiling outside. He did but after sometime switched it off saying that the vehicle had run into reserve.
With a very funny expression on my face I asked: “Whose car is this?”
Pat came the reply: “Sir’s wife’s.”
“Who sir,” I probed.
“The fat man who runs the PR company,” he said nonchalantly.
I was satisfied. And I wonder if Mr Ghosn is too...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh come on! Name the guy from the PR agency too. . Someone i know fits the description spot on but is based in Mumbai.. Funny read that was.. This reminds me of an instance of Moser Baer or their agency sending data to some journalist on a Sony cd.. or vice versa (couldn't care less) =) don’t know what's with the whole "smart and pseudo-intellectual person" suddenly being common Bong traits.. Not to say that that's not true.. With the entire media industry in India being chiefly Bong driven this one trait seems to be overwhelmingly obvious amongst them especially with the agency, television, journalist etc dudes.. reminds me of something my friend doing PG in Symbiosis in mass communication mentioned that one of his colleague who's from Calcutta once told him "if you wear a kurta and smoke Charminar, in Calcutta, you're an intellectual".. And I was like WTF?? It’d make anyone shudder to think that someone following such norms is the future Mr. X.. Feeding propaganda to the people..

But then again the pretense in the media industry in India is anyways hard to ignore irrespective of castes.. It’s like the traits of their profession supersede the traits of their castes...

-rohan